Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Fontconfig] Why did the default font settings change

From: Stephen Hartke
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Fontconfig] Why did the default font settings change around freetype 2.3 release and why isn't there at least a simple "no blurry fonts" settings?
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 09:21:03 -0500

On 5/17/07, Maarten Maathuis <address@hidden> wrote:
I do have one small question, why is the autohinter so ugly? (Is this on purpose?)

I agree with Werner---I think the quality of the autohinter, and FreeType's rendering in general, is excellent. In fact, when I first saw good.jpg and bad.jpg screenshots, I thought they were reversed.  The text in the "good.jpg" is to me too thin and jagged---it looks like a monochrome bitmap font. The text in "bad.jpg" is dark and smooth, which I like.

There are clearly differences in opinion as to what the best rendering looks like.  You should be aware that such differences exist when asking your questions.