Re: [ft-devel] ANSI flag requirement to build freetype2

From: Sean McBride
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ANSI flag requirement to build freetype2
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:39:47 -0500

On 2007-02-20 12:42, address@hidden said:

>But the ANSI incompatibility of Carbon headers I could
>check is only inlining macro (OS_INLINE), and there is
>possibility that further development can hit another
>ANSI incompatibility that I've not provided workaround.
>Thinking of such possibility, omitting ANSI mode CFLAGS
>can be easier to maintain than insertion of workaround
>collection (I thank Sean McBride for giving idea).

To elaborate, Mac OS X's current headers work just fine with -ansi.
However, some older headers do not.  Because of this, ftmac.c has:

#undef  OS_INLINE
#define OS_INLINE   static __inline__

Before including Carbon.h.  Of course, redefining a system #define is
not ideal, and may in fact break things.

Possible choices are:

1) live with this redefinition
2) don't use -ansi
3) remove the redefinition (and thus drop support for very old headers)
4) conditionalise the redefinition

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden