[ft-devel] last bugs before 2.2 release

From: David Turner
Subject: [ft-devel] last bugs before 2.2 release
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:17:14 +0100

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get rid of the last annoying bugs before the 2.2 release, and it's not
really an easy task. The bugs are the following:

A/ When RGB hinting mode is used, the advance of certain fonts is broken.
For example, when selecting Vera Serif at 12 points / 96 dpi on my desktop,
    the word "at" appears with its two letters completely stuck

B/ When RGB hinting mode is also used, some fonts appear larger than usual
    (e.g. Vera Sans at 10 points / 96 dpi on my desktop)

I also discovered a new one:

C/ When selecting a size that corresponds to an embedded bitmap strike in a TrueType font, the rendering of hinted outlines is also different from what we had in previous
    releases.

It turns out that bug A/ is rather old, and is a consequence of the hinting algorithm that we've not spotted yet. It is at least present in 2.1.9, and not something that can be easily fixed at the moment. I guess we'll release 2.2 with it; trying to fix it for 2.2.1

Bugs B/ and C/ come from the changes to the code introduced with the new FT_Size_Request functions. They come from subtle differences in the way some computations are performed (especially in the TrueType driver). Basically, when libXft/Cairo asks for 10points/96 dpi though FT_Set_Char_Size, this creates 'x_scale' and 'y_scale' values that are slightly different from the ones computed in previous releases (which were all consistent), even though the 'x_ppem' and
'y_ppem' are the same

I don't know at the moment if I'll be able to correct this quickly. If not, I'll simply remove the new FT_Size_Request functions and bring back the old implementation throughout the engine.

More news in a few days,

Regards,

- David Turner

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.