Re: [ft-devel] Re: [ft-cvs] freetype2 ./ChangeLog builds/amiga/src/base/

From: david turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [ft-cvs] freetype2 ./ChangeLog builds/amiga/src/base/fts...
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:38:59 +0100

Hello Chia-I,

To me, `sfnt_interface' in sfdirver.c is made way too horrible only to
have certain degree of ABI compatibility with the target release, i.e.
2.1.7.  This does not help distribution maintainers at all.

If we do not target any previous release, but instead, try to please
certain rogue clients, things can be much easier.  In fact, we are now
making exceptions for them, don't we?

Yes, I've determined that we should base our internals around 2.1.7 because it's the version that seems to be used by a vast majority of "old" distros, but this isn't holy gospel :-)

Anything that can help more modern releases, with very low probability of breaking the older
one should be done, and this exception is one of them.

Anyway, this is just my thought.  If we are targeting 2.1.7, exceptions
do have to be made.  Please go ahead.  As for the issue I mentioned in
the first mail, memory optimization for the hmtx table should be
disabled then.

I tend to think that this is of less importance (after all, libXfont is only used to deal with core X11 fonts, and most applications/toolkits are used libXft nowadays), but we'll disable the hmtx memory optimization when FT_CONFIG_OPTION_OLD_INTERNALS is defined. Just to be on the
safe side for most users.

I won't be able to commit any changes until at least 8 hours, feel free to commit anything in between
if you have the time, and thanks for your great work :-)

- David

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.