Re: [ft-devel] Question on Freetype/OpenType feature

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Question on Freetype/OpenType feature
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:04:26 +0200 (CEST)

> >No.  This should be done one level higher since it needs contextual
> >string processing normally.  Have a look at the Pango or ICU
> >libraries, or do it yourself!
>
> As previous posts told, FreeType is font library and not text
> renderer, it should not act as locale-aware softwares.

Well, for this particular problem (namely, to use simplified or
traditional Chinese glyph shapes depending on some option), a selfmade
solution is sufficient.  For example, if I find some time to port
ttf2pk to FreeType 2, I will go this route because most of the more
sophisticated OpenType features are useless for ttf2pk.

> I don't know whether Pango's module-loader is locale-aware (if so we
> can write simple glyph substituter and let module-loader to use it
> when expected locale is selected), or locale-unaware (if so we have
> to write locale-aware module, but i'm afraid it breaks Pango's
> structural hierarchy).

Hmm, I think it is the job of the application to select the proper
OpenType features, depending on the locale.  It becomes more
complicated IMHO if Pango also takes locales into account, especially
if the application wants to override the locale settings.