RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:43:11 +0100

> some explanations on X memory usage can be read in
> /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz
>
> See e.g.:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2002/09/msg00098.html
>
> Also, a quote from http://cbbrowne.com/info/memorymgmt.html

Thanks for the links, they allowed me to find the following program,
yet again from Juliusz.

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/analyse-x.pl

It will parse the /proc/<pid>/maps of your X server for you and
present it in a very useful (and hilarious) way. I won't detail
it there, just run it and enjoy :-)

Regards,

- David Turner

PS: and if you read the source code itself, you'll spot this
    comment at the start:

# Warning: this code is written in Perl.  By proceeding further you
# certify that you are a consenting adult and that it is legal in your
# locality to view Perl code.

:o)