Re: [Devel] Problems with FT_Get_Postscript_Name and TTF files?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problems with FT_Get_Postscript_Name and TTF files?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:59:56 +0400

On Sunday 29 September 2002 9:56 am, Eric Poulsen wrote:
|  All,
|
|  I'm pretty new to using FreeType, and I'm having a bit of an issue with
|  FT_Get_Postscript_Name.  I have read through the documentation, and the
|  list archives.  The code listed results in a segfault.  The fonts are
|  from the Windows fonts library, though I'm developing for Linux.
|
|  If I comment out the FT_Get_Postscript_Name line, it works fine.  If I
|  have it only check postscript (.pfb) files, it works fine.

Hi Eric!

You should be very careful with FT_Get_Postscript_Name invoked on TrueType
fonts.
Some of them just do not have it :-)

My advise:
If you need to demonstrate to someone prototype project which uses
TimesNewRoman, Trebuchet, Verdana, etc. TTF fonts from Windows - well,
download PfaEdit and convert those fonts to PFB format (or to OpenType).
And invoke your program on PS Type1 versions of those fonts.
I did it, for tetsing purposes, and can tell you that converted fonts:
a) consume less disk space
b) rendered better by FreeType
c) help to have PDF of smaller size, if you print to PDF from KDE / KOffice.

Hope this helps a little bit.

|  If I only do 1 or 2 TTF files, it's okay.  It seems iterating through a
|  large number of them will cause it to segfault when reading the name of
|  one of them.
|
|  I realize this code is rather simplistic and useless -- it's been boiled
|  down from a much larger project in order to demonstrate the problem at
|  hand.
|
|  Am I just doing something stupid?

Yes. :-)
Do not use TrueType fonts :-))