Re: [Devel] where are the fonts ???

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] where are the fonts ???
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:57:19 -0700

At 09:28 AM 9/2/2002 +0100, you wrote:
On windows I can try in "GetWindowsDirectory()/Fonts", but on Linux ??? and MacOsX ???
Even on windows that only works for ttf fonts, it probably won't find fonts that ATM manages. They often live in /PSFonts, or something like that.

On Mac OS/X there are (I think) 3 directories that can contain fonts:
        /Library/Fonts
        /System/Library/Fonts
        ~/Library/Fonts
The first two are available system wide, the last only to the given user.

On linux (any system running X really) fonts are wherever they get put.
    $ xset -q
Will show the current font path for the X Server and
    XGetFontPath()
is a function you can call at run time.

On an X with a font server (RedHat, I think) you also need to run
    $ chkfontpath -l
(I don't know if there's a function you can call for this info).

Another way to find fonts under X:
    $ find / -name '*.pcf' -o -name '*.[ot]tf' -o -name '*.pfb' -print