[Devel] VER-2-1-2-RC1 tag created

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] VER-2-1-2-RC1 tag created
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:58:12 +0200

Hello,

  I didn't have much time to participate in the list this wekk. However,
  I'd like to thanks the people who submitted significant patches recently.
  Again, I'm very pleased to see the project living without too much of
  my input :-)

  I also agree that an immediate 2.1.2 release would be a good thing, and
  I've just created the VER-2-1-2-RC1 tag in the CVS, for its first "release
  candidate"

  I plan to make the release this week-end, if we don't find another significant
  blocking bug. This will probably be the time to make a 2.0.10 as suggested
  by Werner..

  Sorry, no time to talk about other questions on the list right now, see you
  this week-end..

Regards,

- David Turner

PS: Regarding the URW Ghostscript fonts: they have many problems as already
    suggested, one of them being that they contain low-quality or simply
    _erroneous_ hints (that explain, among other things, why you "see"
    disappearing stems at certain pixel sizes with the "Courier" look-alike)

    It may be possible to tune the Postscript hinter to deal with them in
    more pleasant ways, since after all the choice of freely re-distributable
    fonts is rather small. However, the initial goal for the Postscript hinter
    was to perform well on well-hinted fonts, not buggy ones...