Re: [Devel] Gamma correction for anti-aliasing

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Devel] Gamma correction for anti-aliasing
Date: 08 Jun 2002 19:38:30 +0200

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 19:12, Keith Packard wrote:
> FreeType can already do this; use a matrix to expand the outline by a
> factor of three and then pick off the R G and B elements separately.  Note
> that you'll want to use a filter to reduce the contrast among the
> sub-pixel elements to reduce color fringing.  Examples of what this looks
> like can be see at:
>
>       http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/render/clear.html
>
> Reducing the color fringing also reduces the effective improvement in
> horizontal resolution; I think it gives about a factor of two or so with
> the filter I use.

Thanks very much for these infos, I was missing important points. I
actually already saw that page but I forgot it, shame on me :). It's
however understood that the ClearType trick is only about oversampling
along one direction as far as FreeType is concerned. I'll have a more
careful look at Xft now.