Re: [Devel] Benchmarking FreeType

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Benchmarking FreeType
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:01:46 +0200

Hello James,

On Saturday 8 June 2002 06:05, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

> David> Thanks a lot, it is now in "ft2demos/src/ftbench" ...
>
> David> Since I was optimizing the cache manager when you first posted
> David> about your benchmark program ....
>
> I just tried cvs after that sync.  I tested against adobe's
> STSongStd-Light-Acro.otf (freely available in the linux acroread 5
> directory at ftp.adobe.com).  (I was going to test against all four of
> the otf fonts they offer there, but didn't get that far....)
>
> ftbench grows to use however much vm is available to it until it is
> killed, ftview gets a segfault at glyph 2009.  The stack trace is:

Damn ! I just spotted the bug and committed the fix to the CVS, please
update and tell us if you have other problems..

The problem was that the hash table's buckets array wasn't correctly
resized when it was shrinked. The latter only happened during cache
flushes, which can only be experimented with ftbench with large
fonts (like arialuni.ttf, etc...), or limiting the cache pool size with the
"-m" option...

Thanks for spotting it. Very fortunately, the bug had no impact on
performance, so the enhancements are still there :-)

Regards