[Devel] Re: [Fonts]Another approach to text in X

From: Keith Packard
Subject: [Devel] Re: [Fonts]Another approach to text in X
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 23:09:39 -0800

Around 23 o'clock on Dec 24, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> You have mentioned that your solution is "Independent of output technology or
> rasterization; it's just a configuration, customization and matching library"
> How you deal with kerning in it?

I don't.  This library gets you from a font name to a file name (+index)
along with data needed to rasterize the font (size and various hints).  A
simple convention (replace .PFB/.PFA with .AFM) can yield access to the
metrics associated with the Type1 font.

I believe I can solve this configuration/customization part of the problem
separately from the remaining rasterization and layout problems.  Given
that others are actively working in those areas, I'd rather not attempt to
standardize something not yet ready.  I believe we're long overdue for a
standard mechanism for installing and using fonts; I think we can build
concensus relatively quickly and dramatically simplify the use of fonts
throughout the computing environment.

> |   The idea is to list all of the available faces in 'match' order -- the
> |   distance from the face to the requested pattern.  Now this list can be
>
> How you are going to measure distance?
> It can be VERY difficult.

I have a relatively simplistic metric, the sophistication comes in
generating useful patterns which match sensible fonts.  In particular, the
pattern can contain multiple face names; those are matched in the order
listed, allowing applications to suggest likely face names.  I'd like to
avoid panose-style matching based on characteristics of the font and stick
to something simple that applications can work with easily.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab