[Devel] Re: FreeType 2.0.5 patches

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Re: FreeType 2.0.5 patches
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:09:59 +0100

Hello Sam,

Sam Lantinga a écrit :

> Hi, I just wanted to let you know that FreeType 2.0.5 works great on
> MacOS Classic, when built with Apple's MPW environment.  I'm attaching
> the "makefile" I used to build it.

Thanks, I just added it to the FreeType repository in
"builds/mac/freetype.mac"

> There's also a minor bug in */*/ftsystem.c:
> In FT_Done_Memory(), you should use free(memory) to free the memory
> block, since you use malloc() to allocate it.

It's not a bug. We want to be able to use the library on platforms
who do not provide malloc/free (think custom memory allocators).

This means that the memory manager could be created by a custom
function that is _not_ FT_New_Memory. To support these, we simply
cannot call "free" to release the FT_Memory object..

Of course, we'd better use a custom method to implement this, but
we're stuck with the current design for reasons of backwards
compatibility

Thanks,

- David