[Devel] infinite loop details

From: Scott Long
Subject: [Devel] infinite loop details
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:05:04 -0800

I just realized that my previous post didn't include enough information. It
seems that the root of the problem is this:

Either the PCL printer driver, or the Windows GDI, is producing "funky" glyph
representations. The glyph data included in the PCL print stream is seriously
wrong for glyph index 3 (which I assume is supposed to be an empty glyph,
since it represents a space). The glyph information does not even contain a
complete glyph header.

The problem does not seem to be in our translation process. This is likely to
be a bug in the Windows PCL printer driver, or something else in Windows. Our
translation process just takes the glyph data from the stream and memcpy()'s
it into the TTF file image. I really don't see any way that this process
could go wrong. The PCL data itself is bad.

So the root of the problem seems to be a bug in a printer driver :-) But I
still think that FreeType should handle this problem gracefully.

Thanks for helping out,
Scott