Re: [Devel] Testing on the new gamma support

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Testing on the new gamma support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:46:45 +0100

Hello yao zhang,

yao zhang a écrit :

> [...]
>
> It seems not making any noticable difference at first.  Then I take a look
> at the freetype2/src/smooth/ftgrays.c, and change the parameter a little
> bit.  Actually, the only thing I changed is that
>
> #define M_Y     192
>
> It works beautifully then.

The problem with this gamma correction code is that a value of 192
is "beautiful" for you (i.e. your monitor and resolution), but might
give less than optimal results for other people. Think about things
like differences in "monitor gamma", LCD/CRT color restitution,
graphics resolution dot size (which isn't pixel size !!), etc..

I think that the only safe way to deal with this problem is to be
as flexible as possible within the engine, and allow client applications
or libraries to choose optimal values from user-provided feedback
(or if you really want that, monitor/resolution specific tables,
ugh..)

Sadly, I have not the time to implement this currently, but these
will come to FreeType in a few months..

Regards,

- David