[Devel] What is the scale of bbox in FT_FaceRec?

From: Sander van der Wal
Subject: [Devel] What is the scale of bbox in FT_FaceRec?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:27:33 +0100

Hi

What is the scale of the bbox in a FT_Face?

In a type 1 font that I have (the Zapf dingbats font in Adobe Acrobat
reader 4.0) the values in the bbox are much larger that in comparable
TrueType fonts. In TrueType fonts the values in bbox are compatible in
size with the ascender and descender values the same face, but not so
in a Type 1 font.

The ascender in a Type 1 font is calculated as (t1objs, around line
277).

   root->ascender     = face->type1.font_bbox.yMax >> 16;

I suspect that the bbox in T1 fonts is in a different scale then in
TrueType fonts.

>From looking at the source I also believe that CID fonts behave
exactly like Type 1 fonts in this respect.

I'm ruinning into this problem because I need to calculate describe
the whole font using size, ascender, height, width and descenders.
This can also be done from comparable values in FT_Face, but I got
some amazing results when I tried to use the bbox.

Sander van der Wal