RE: [Devel] Re-encoding interface requested?

From: Blinn, Eric W
Subject: RE: [Devel] Re-encoding interface requested?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:39:23 -0600

Sander van der Wal wrote:

> Right now there's FT_Get_Char_Index, to translate a
> character code to a glyph index. If there would be a function
>
> FT_UInt   FT_Get_Glyphname_Index(FT_Face* face, const FT_String*
> glyph_name)
>
> that returned the glyph index based on the glyph name, client
> applications could do the re-encoding themselves.

For the application I work on, we have already implemented a custom set of
public interface functions like Sander proposes.  We also implemented
another custom set of public interface functions we found useful.  Given a
charcode, it returns the glyph name.  It looks like the following:

  FT_String*  Get_Char_Name( FT_Face face, FT_Long charcode )

If any of this is helpful then let me know.  It would be of value to us to
see one, or preferably both, of these added to the public interface in
future releases.  I might be able to find time to help with some of the
implementation or at the very least pass along our existing work so you
don't have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.  A caveat to keep in mind if
you wanted to integrate any of our code would be that our implementations
are based upon a slightly customized FreeType 2.0.1 source tree.  The only
other customizations were adding code to handle loading CFF encoding and
charset tables (this work was done before Tom implemented the same and
committed it to CVS).  If the current CVS baseline hasn't diverged too far
from our slightly customized 2.0.1 then our implementations might be of use
to you.