Re: [Devel] font look

From: Stephane Conversy
Subject: Re: [Devel] font look
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:56:10 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > What about kerning?
> >
> > I would like to have a look, but it seems that ftstring does not
> > propose this option.
>
> It has.  Toggle with `k'.

> Note that kerning via GPOS isn't supported

?? I do not understand.

> -- you have to try ftstrtto from the latest FreeType 1 snapshot to do
> that.
>
>     Werner

I remember that I saw the list of ftstring options someday, but I can't
remember where (maybe in the source).

Anyway, turning kerning on and off does not help.
The results look the same when I'm in 75 dpi.
I just saw on slashdot someone who wrote that X11 was aimed at 75
dpi display, I don't know what it means, but can it explain the problem
?

Turning on and off hinting seems to shrink the length of the
string, and gives almost the result of the svg picture.
Maybe I should use non-hinted xadvance and hinted pixmap, it
it has sense.

Btw, did anyone understand the problem ?

    stef

--
stephane conversy
ecole des mines de nantes