[Devel]new: ChangeLog file

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel]new: ChangeLog file
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:11:56 +0100 (CET)

Folks,

I've started with a ChangeLog file.  I kindly ask all contributors who
provide fixes to write a ChangeLog entry of the following form:

2000-11-09  Werner Lemberg  <address@hidden>

        * builds/cygwin/install.mk: Fix clean target names.
        * builds/cygwin/install.mk, builds/unix/install.mk: Use
        $(INSTALL_SCRIPT) for installation of freetype-config.

This entry should not be part of the diff -- in case somebody else has
applied some changes meanwhile, we couldn't apply the patch since the
ChangeLog file has changed.

As you can see, there are two spaces between the date, full name, and
email address (which is in angle brackets).

Similar to a makefile, all entries start with tabs; a new item gets a
leading asterisk.  PLEASE BE AS VERBOSE AS POSSIBLE!  For example, if
I change something in functions foo(), bar(), and baz() in file xxx.c,
the entry should be something like this:

        * xxx.c (foo): Do this.
        (bar): Do that.
        (baz): Likewise.

Changes for documentation, formatting, and changes of whitespace get
*no* entry.  Exception to this rule are actions which have enough
`metaness' to be mentioned, e.g. completely redesigning a
documentation file.

Addition and removal of all kinds of files should be mentioned.