Re: A protuberant Chinese pixel

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: A protuberant Chinese pixel
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:31:53 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late response.

> There is one small point where it looks like the rasterizer could do
> better. A picture and brief description are at this URL:
>
>     http://www.wenlin.com/freetype.gif
>
> I don't know the internals of the rasterizer well enough to tell
> where the problem is in the source code, but it seems to involve
> rounding one way or the other from a coordinate exactly half-way
> between pixel boundaries (64*n+32 where n is an integer).

It would be nice if you could send us some demo code (i.e., a simple C
program with outline data) which shows the problem.

> By the way, the Chinese character outlines in which the protuberant
> pixel is manifested don't come from a TrueType font file (though
> they could have).

Have you experimented with different drop-out modes?  Currently, the
rasterizes only uses drop-out mode #2.  This is hard-coded in
ftraster.c in the function Render_Glyph; look for the line

  ras.dropOutControl = 2;

Maybe you should try a different one.