freetalk-dev

[Freetalk-dev] Problems with building freetalk on Ubuntu 8.10

From: Kamaleshwar Morjal
Subject: [Freetalk-dev] Problems with building freetalk on Ubuntu 8.10
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:36:36 +0530

Hello!
I am a keen freetalk user and I love the software. I was
just trying to build the release 3.2 while i encountered
the following problem. I am sorry for the lack of understanding
but I am no programmer and therefore this is beyond me.

Any pointers in order to sort this out would be greatly
appreciated.
$ configure --prefix=/home/user/opt/freetalk/
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for library containing tgetent... -lncurses
checking for readline in -lreadline... no
configure: error: ERROR! readline not found...
The script aborts at this point.

Also, I am using freetalk 3.1 installed from the Ubuntu repos
using "apt-get install" and I have observed that
it crashes a lot. I am generally on a very slow dial-up
connection and freetalk often crashes on an attempt to
reconnect after it drops the connection. I will post the
backtrace and whatever information is displayed on the
terminal if you may so require. For now, I just need to make
sure this is right forum to post this information.

Keenly awaiting your response. I am very fond of this neat
little program :)

--
Thanks and regards
kamaleshwar morjal