freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] Intricacies of GTalk.

From: Vikas Gorur
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] Intricacies of GTalk.
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 00:49:44 +0530

On 10/22/06, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
(define (domain->server domain)
  (cond ((string=? domain "gmail.com") "talk.google.com")
        ((string=? domain "google.com") "talk.google.com")
        (else domain)))

The above lines in extensions/connection.scm seem to be replacing
"gmail.com" by "talk.google.com". Why?

Moreover I have seen that to connect to GTalk in GAIM, you need to set
"gmail.com" as the server and "talk.google.com" as the connect server.
What is the difference?

Calling "gmail.com" as the 'server' is a misnomer. According to the
RFCs, every JID must have a 'node', 'domain' and optionally a
'resource'. In most cases the 'domain' is equal to the DNS name of the
server you connect to (jabber.org, for instance). However, this is not
a requirement. So in the case of Google talk, the 'node' is your gmail
username, 'domain' is gmail.com, and the actual server is
'talk.google.com'. What the above code does is that it automatically
figures out the server as 'talk.google.com' if the domain is
'gmail.com'.

I am asking since I was trying to use the XMPPpy
(http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net) to connect to GMail, and it was
failing at the SASL negotiation stage, although TLS was successfully
negotiated. I had given address@hidden/xyz as the JID and xxxxxxxx as
the password.

Any idea?

Google's jabber server does not support all SASL mechanisms (only
supports the SASL PLAIN mechanism if I recall correctly). Look into
the raw XML log and see where it's failing to figure it out. People at
the Jabber Development conference room (on address@hidden)
are pretty helpful about these matters.

HTH,
Vikas