freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] Problem compiling on OpenBSD

From: Anand V. Avati
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] Problem compiling on OpenBSD
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 18:34:17 +0530

> Well I've used a little script to remove the symlinks and cp the needed
> files from /usr/local/share/gettext/po/, but this is ugly.
> Anyway, it now picks up gnu iconv etc ok.

we will be making a new release 0.70 with the symlink fixes, so that you
can shred the ugly workaround.

> It also starts to compile, but there are some problems. Namely that BSD
> libc doesn't have a argp.h. This is easily fixed by copying the file
> from a linux box.

copying argp.h may not help. does BSD libc have argp_parse () etc? if
it does, it would help. but i think that is specific to GNU libc. if
not, the argp will need to be re-written with getopt_*(). argp is
necessary for gnu compliance.

Could you please investigate if BSD libc has argp equivlant calls (not
getopt*(), but something similar to argp). else a patch from you against
the cvs latest which uses getopt within #ifndef HAS_ARGP as part of your
porting effort will be much appretiated.

> But I was a little more surprised when I found out about include like
> <linux/kd.h> in primitives.cc. Since this is Linux-only stuff, it isn't
> present on systems !linux. And thus importable.

that was a header we had included to use some of the beep features of
linux. but we are not using it. it is safe to remove "#include
<linux/kd.h>" and "#include <sys/ioctl.h>" from primitives.cc. We shall
remove it officially as part of next release.

> Ofcourse I can copy over all those files (which I believe are in the
> kernel sources.....) , but that doesn't make sense to me.

they are kernel headers, originally part of kernel source, but exposed
to userspace for applications to leverage on linux specific features (by
means of ioctls or just other definitions)

> Jasper

We would love to see the soon-to-come new freetalk with voice chat
support in console via libjingle get ported to *BSD too.

thanks,
avati

--
Anand V. Avati