freesci-develop

[freesci-develop] Code freeze imminent

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: [freesci-develop] Code freeze imminent
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:23:21 +0100

Hi,

0.3.4 is around the corner. It won't quite have all the features we listed
in the TODO, but the list of changes-- particularly the large amount of bug
fixes-- does warrant another release.

Due to personal time constraints, I'd like to release on January 12th (I'd
actually like to release earlier, but that wouldn't really leave anyone time
to react ;-)

This means that, unless there are good reasons for not doing so, we'll enter
a code freeze on January 6th (Monday).

Glutton: We should release a first version of 0.6.0 simultaneously, as the
'unstable' 'alternative', to minimize confusion. Since no one else seems to
be working on glutton, I won't give a concrete date for a freeze here; if
you'd like to work on it, please contact me so we can coordinate this. If
glutton compiles and (mostly) runs on standard Linux platforms, that'll be
sufficient; this version will be deliberately "experimental" in the hopes
of maximizing our chances for getting patches.

Code freeze: What this means, essentially, is that you should not change
anything unless it serves the sole purpose of fixing bugs and is sufficiently
contained to minimize the risk of breaking anything else.

I can test on the following platforms:
- Linux/Debian(sid) on Digital Alpha (*)
- Linux/Debian(woody) on IA32 (*)
- Linux/Red Hat(7.2) on IA32
- Solaris/Sun on SPARC

(*) Only until Jan. 8th

And possibly on various Alpha OSses (*BSD, Tru64, RH, SuSE), if the Compaq
TestDrive is still up and running.

I can also test the following graphics targets: SDL, xlib, ggi
...and the following sound setups: adlibemu/OSS, adlibemu/ALSA (does that
work already?), MT32/ALSA

If my laptop is repaired by then, I can also test the directfb gfx driver
and native OSS adlib.

Any volunteers for other platforms?

llap,
 Christoph