Fwd: Pooma 2.4.0 Problem on Tru64 Unix

From: Kai Bröking
Subject: Fwd: Pooma 2.4.0 Problem on Tru64 Unix
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 00:50:26 +0200

Hello everybody,

I was asked to forward my problem to this list. I would be glad, if somebody could help. I have broken it down to the following points (to my opinion, anyway). The original problem is attached below. It has to do with ar stating that that the argument list is too long while executing make:

1) it seems to be a problem of the shell (in this case bash), which complains about the argument list generated by make being too long to work with.
The argument list is generated automatically as constructed in
$(pooma_source)/config/Shared/tail.mk ,
specifically while generating the AR_CMDLINE -variable as
$(AR_CMDLINE)=$(AR) $(RULE_AR_OPTS) $@ $(filter %.o,$+) $(INSTANTIATION_DIR)/*.o I have not gotten round to break that down to its parts, as RULE_AR_OPTS and INSTANTIATION_DIR are rather nastily composed of more variables that seem to be distributed all over the place.

2) Fixing the problem seems to incorporate:
a) finding out which files exactly make up the library that is to be composed by ar
     and
b) getting ar to parse one by one the files it shall ad to the archive and adding them to the library that is to be composed,
     plus
c) finding out if what else is to be done for getting a working library.

I will have a look at all three, but for now: here's the original problem, and I would appreciate any hints for other ways to find a workaround. Maybe any of you have stumbled across this mess, too.
Thank you for your time and effort going through my mail.

Best Regards,
Kai.
************************************************************************ ***** Kai Broeking e-mail: address@hidden
 Max-Planck-Institut fuer Stroemungsforschung   Tel: (49) 551 5176 444
Goettingen FAX: (49) 551 5176 439 ************************************************************************ *****

Now here's what caused all the trouble:

Begin forwarded message:
I have tried to compile pooma 2.4.0 on (several) alphas running Tru 64 Unix (arch DECCXX)
The options I gave configure were:
--prefix  ~myhome/lib/<machinename>/ --arch DECCXX
configure ran fine and completed within a second or so.
I made a  setenv POOMASUITE DECCXX.

During the execution of make I encountered the following problem:
For some reason there is  a time in front of the
ar rc foo1.cmpl.o foo2.cmpl.o foo3.cmpl.o ...

make always teminates with error 1, and the precise error message I find in
lib/DECCXX/libpooma.a_1.info is:

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/time: arg list too long

even if I unset the TIME variable in config/Shared/variables.mk, the problem continues, and ar returns the above error message. I have also tried moving the pooma-2.4.0-drectory up a bit, but this does not solve the problem, either. My question therefore would be whether there is a workaround for this problem.
Thank you in anticipation of your help,

Best Regards,
Kai Broeking.