Achievements

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Achievements
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:41:44 -0700

Gentlemen --

You have implemented many wonderous things in the past few months.

Scott and I would like to announce our progress to a wider audience,
and encourage more participation and users to join in.  Here is
a draft note that I've prepared.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on
places that it could be posted (newsgroups? mailing lists?) and on
its content.

--
Mark Mitchell                address@hidden

ANNOUNCEMENT: POOMA TOOLKIT DEVELOPMENT
=======================================

The POOMA (Parallel Object Oriented Methods and Applications)
toolkit is an open-source C++ toolkit that allows the creation
of high-performance parallel numerical applications.  POOMA
works at a very high level of abstraction; a few lines of POOMA
code is often equivalent to hundreds or thousands of lines of
C or Fortran code.

Version 2.4 (currently under development) contains exciting
new features, including:

- Dependent fields

 A dependent field automatically, but lazily, updates itself
 whenever an independent field changes.  Using dependent fields,
 you can all code the equations that apply to a particular domain,
 but only evaluate the ones you need, when you need them.

- Centering support

 POOMA now contains support for cell-centered, edge-centered,
 and face-centered fields, and allows you to convert from one
 kind of field to another.

If you would like to download the current development version of
POOMA, or  a previous stable version, visit:

 http://pooma.codesourcery.com

On that site, you will also find information about how to join the
POOMA mailing lists, and even participate in the development of
POOMA.

Enjoy!