Particles developer tests

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: Particles developer tests
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:16:12 -0700

Hi All,

I just committed some mods to Particles in the main
line branch.  With these changes, all of the Particles
developer tests except for interpolate and particle_test[1-4]
should be functioning properly.  I wasn't confident in my
ability to produce a patch file that others could use
(since I am running cygwin with DOS-style text files), I
just went ahead and committed the changes.  Perhaps
someone could verify that the Particles tests are working
(except those I mentioned above)?

I have a few comments/questions.  It seems like there are
some new Fields source files that should be deleted now,
such as FieldEngine.UR.h and PositionFunctions.h.  Is that
correct?  Another issue is that for Particle->Field scatter,
I need a function that sets the external guard layers to
zero.  We used to do this by adding a temporary ConstantBC
to the Field with constant value zero, applying the BC, and
deleting the BC.  Can we do a similar thing with FieldUpdaters?
Is there a better way to do this with the new Fields?  I
believe that I can use pre-existing mechanisms in MultiPatch
Engines to zero out the internal guard layers, so there should
be no issue there.  I'd like to tackle the Particle/Field
interpolators later this week.

Thanks, Julian C.

Dr. Julian C. Cummings
Staff Scientist, CACR/Caltech