freeon-users

[Freeon-users] Ktrax-preprocessed.f with --enable-parallel-clones

From: Jose R. Valverde
Subject: [Freeon-users] Ktrax-preprocessed.f with --enable-parallel-clones
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:15:54 +0200

Hi all,

        I am trying to compile freeON with (some) MPI support. I know.

        Anyway, when I use --enable-parallel-clones it breaks compiling
Ktrax-preprocessed.f, which being just a huge list of trivial assignment
statements it shouldn't. The reason given is that the compiler runs out
of virtual memory. This is likely unrelated to freeON, as this machine
has 72GB RAM and when the compiler breaks it has allocated only about
2.9Gb of them.

        Now, this looks in all respects as a problem with the optimizer,
and indeed, if I compile the file manually turning off all specific
optimization options, it compiles OK and the build proceeds:

         mpif90 -g -O2 -march=native  -I. -I../Modules -I. -I..
         -I../OneE -I../Modules/MMA/LookUpTables_800_6x   -c -o KTrax.o
         KTrax-preprocessed.f

instead of

        mpif90 -g -O2 -march=native -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse
        -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize -pipe -ffixed-line-length-none -I.
        -I../Modules -I. -I.. -I../OneE
        -I../Modules/MMA/LookUpTables_800_6x   -c -o KTrax.o
        KTrax-preprocessed.f

I haven't tried many combinations to see which is the exact compiler
flag causing this behavior, but I guess while this may be a bit slower,
it will still work and be not too bad (-O2 remains).

        Well, the compilation is going on now, and once it is finished
I'll run the validation checks and let you know, but in principle it
should pass.

                        EMBnet/CNB
                Scientific Computing Service
        Solving all your computer needs for Scientific
                        Research.

                http://bioportal.cnb.csic.es
                  http://www.es.embnet.org