freeon-devel

Re: [FreeON-devel] The FreeON wiki is open for business!

From: Matt Challacombe
Subject: Re: [FreeON-devel] The FreeON wiki is open for business!
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:06:20 -0600

Hi Gao,

FreeON is gamma point only, for all periodic calculations.   For
large, non-metalic and heterogeneous
systems, gamma point should converge pretty quickly with respect to N.
 If you have a small system
with lots of symmetry, well, FreeON is probably not the right tool.

While FreeON (MondoSCF) used to be fairly well parallelized with MPI,
only the NEB part over clones (beads)
is currently MPI parallel.   We dropped support for that part of the
code because (1) it was really clumsy and
difficult to support and (2) we are redoing the code from the ground
up in a different HPC paradigm.  See
for example, Nicks recent paper on SpAMM.  This will replace the BCSR
structures with quad and oct-trees
and a task parallel approach.  This will be much, much easier to
maintain and develop around (+faster).

The dynamic response is in RQI.F90 as you correctly understand. You
would probably need to implement in
both RQI.F90 and some other "backend" files.  Its important to
understand the front/back end way FreeON
is built.  It has a lot of advantages, especially for very large
systems, but can be a pain at first.  The advantage
is, if something goes wrong with ie a 2000 atom calculation, you can
for instance easily re-run/debug/profile
etc the most important/costly/buggy part of the code, instead of
starting from the beginning.
RQI is somewhat unique in that the linear algebra is in the front end,
while it makes backend calls to the J+K builds.
This is pretty different than the rest of the code.  We could probably
back end RQI, and nest the J+K builds.
We should consider that, along with ways to let some of the linear
algebra live in the front end, as it is now, but
maybe in a more friendly way.   Our task parallel approach we are
working towards will help and inform
these choices a lot.

So maybe let me know what properties you are interested in, and if HF
is going to be enough, and we can
discuss more.

Best, Matt