freeice-dev

Re:[Freeice-dev] FREEICE - CHardware Version

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re:[Freeice-dev] FREEICE - CHardware Version
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:46:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Sorry for the huge delay! My address@hidden account
went down for a while, I think its getting back up
now. Its been down for about 2 weeks...

>The idea is good ! But what I think that would serve
>better is that the ATmega128 should be replaced by a
>type
>that supports downloading the firmware of the board
on
>the fly.
>This way you are very flexible to choose any firmware

>sitting on the host to be downloaded to the board.

Good idea, I think Bootloader + Mega128 would work
great though.

>I was thinking that the micro has some form of SRAM
>so that the micro can run out of the SRAM. I must
>admit
>then that the internal flash is also a good candidate
>but
>the life endurance of the ATmega128 hasnot been
tested
>realistic. If it is well garantueed then the boot
>flash
>can be used for this purposes for downloading the
>debugging
>firmware code.

Micros that run out of SRAM are getting more high-end
IMO. The FLASH is pretty good, its gaurenteed by Atmel
to be at least 10,000 cycles for the AVR. Thats very
conservative, as even Atmel has said. One of the
earlier AVRs (with only 1000 stated limit) was tested
well well beyond that limit. If someone burns out the
AVR's flash in the Freeice, i'll personally buy them a
new one ;-)  (not counting mis-setting fuse bits).

  -Colin