freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: FW: Bengali

From: taneem
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: FW: Bengali
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:16:25 -0500

Quoting Deepayan Sarkar <address@hidden>:

> I'm replying to all for now, but maybe we should transfer this over to
> freebangfont-devel.

I agree. (cc'ed people, please follow the thread in freebanglafont-devel if you
are interested).

> MS doc doesn't (as far as I know) list glyphs (nor should it). My
> recommendations are:

What I meant to say is that the doc explains all the layout related tables that
a Bangla OTF should have, and we should add all of them. I know there is no
need for Bangla to have the nukta table, but for some reason (I hope there is
one) it is a *required* table. Also we need to have the akhand table. Btw,
all the akhand forms are supposed to have nukta form too. If we feel these
tables are useless, we can simply put blank glyphs there. But we still need to
figure out all the glyphs we should have, just to have the name if not
anything else.

> (1) to use the list of conjuncts we have (was it from Kaushik?) as a starting
>
> point, and keep a few blank glyphs for the future. Mukti already has all
> these, so we can start from there. It's already a reasonably good-looking
> font (and I don't think us amateurs can do any better by ourselves), and the

Lets start with Mukti then. Also, we may want to classify the ligatures
properly so all the pre/post/below base stuff works fine. also, we may want to
start using context sensitive stuff. For example, if e-kar (not i-kar) is at
the beginning of a word it should look different than if it is in the middle.

> only current drawback is that it seems to have some bugs on Linux. But that
>
> may well be bugs in Pango.

Maybe once we add all the tables, some of the bugs will be gone.

> (2) Use VOLT for the initial GSUB tables, then extract that as a xml table
> using ttx, and supply all these to interested developers. That way, both
> Windows and Linux users should be happy.

yup.

Taneem

This e-mail has undergone DECONtamination.
http://www.deconference.com
http://www.eyetap.org