Re: [fluid-dev] Looping a MIDI file

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Looping a MIDI file
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:26:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

>I'm trying to figure out how to play a MIDI file in a loop from command line and I didn't find the information in the FluidSynth wiki.

The FluidSynth console command line application is a simple application. Its purpose is to get developper quickly familiar with  the library API as proof of concept.

1) Basically each command line call the API function in regard to the MIDI protocol concept (noteon, noteoff, cc...).

The library contains also a simple MIDI file player API and also a MIDI file to audio file render API usable via by the console application.

2) There is no command line to manage the player like: start,pause, continue, backward, forward, lopping between time markers,...

Such players functionalities require sequencing capabilities that doesn't exist at API level.

>...Do you know how I can do that?

But, the fluidsynth command line application is a complete MIDI synthesizer with MIDI input. It is able to play any MIDI event received on the host MIDI device input.

3)You could find a MIDI file sequencer software application on the Web with looping capabilities and also being tempo adjustable. Usually these application are able to play on host MIDI device output.

4)Then you need a way to connect the sequencer MIDI output to the Fluidsynth MIDI input. This is done using other application allowing connection

between MIDI output and MIDI input. This allows to have both application (sequencer and fluidsynth synthesizer) runnig on the same machine and avoid MIDI hardware wire.

jjc

> Message du 29/07/20 16:09
> De : "William Hiver" <william.hiver@free.fr>
> A : fluid-dev@nongnu.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : [fluid-dev] Looping a MIDI file

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to play a MIDI file in a loop from command line and I didn't find the information in the FluidSynth wiki.
I'm reading a MIDI file as a backing track so I'd like it to loop endlessly. Do you know how I can do that? For now I run fluidsynth with:
> fluidsynth.exe soundbank.sf2 backingtrack.mid

Thanks!

William