Re: [fluid-dev] About Supporting 2GiB+ Soundfonts on Windows

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] About Supporting 2GiB+ Soundfonts on Windows
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:51:46 -0400

On Mar 17, 2020, at 04:44, Tom M. via fluid-dev <address@hidden> wrote:

> latter doesn't really make sense in practice, because long long is an
> intrinsic type guaranteed to be at least 64 bits wide. And because
> long long must be available, int64_t will also be available.)

That describes int_least64_t.  In an implementation where long long is wider
than 64 bits, int64_t can not be a long long.

> typedef long long fluid_long_long_t;
> Should it really be that simple or am I missing smth.?

What you might be missing is that the width of fluid_long_long_t could then
differ between implementations.  I can't say whether that would cause problems
for you, but I have seen other projects where the size of int on different
platforms was a key factor in many compiler warnings, and naturally, the
warnings differed by platform too.  One developer might fix a warning for
himself and end up creating one for another developer.

Regards,
—
Dan