fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] Pitch bend range/pitch wheel sensitivity?

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Pitch bend range/pitch wheel sensitivity?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 19:01:44 +0100

> This either applies to channel 0, or to all channels, I'm not certain.

Just noted that the documentation for this command is broken. Fixed it. The
first parameter specifies the midi channel, so it only applies to channel 0.

> I was under the impression that I could actually define this in the
SoundFont itself

You can, but only through modulators, I'm afraid: You need to add a modulator
to the global zone of the instrument of your interest.

Source1 of that modulator is bipolar, linear, positive.
Source2 is =1, i.e. no source2.
The destination is the coarse pitch tune generator.
The amount of that modulator is the desired_pitch_bend_range minus two.

Why two? The "General MIDI Protocol Implementation Requirements" require a
default pitch bend range of +- 2 semitones for each MIDI channel. That is: a
range of two semitones come from the MIDI spec, any additional semitones come
from your modulator.

This works fine as long as the pitch bend range isn't changed with RPN0.

Tom