Re: [fluid-dev] Sample Playback Speed

From: sqweek
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Sample Playback Speed
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 00:30:49 +0800

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 23:05, Brian Sweetnam <address@hidden> wrote:

My question is: is FS currently capable of regulating the playback speed of any given sample, (faster or slower) without changing the pitch of the sample, whilst playing it back?  If it is, where can I find instrutions about this please?

I need this feature in order to try to replicate the rhythm section on my old Yamaha Electone organ, which is not going to last much longer.  So I would for example like to select a thythm, and play along to any reasonable tempo, but without changing the pitch of the rhythm as the tempo is either increased or decreased.

Hi Brian, and welcome.

Hopefully someone else will step in to address your query directly, because I'm not sure myself what fluidsynth is capable of in terms of sample manipulation.

However, it strikes me that this is the kind of thing which would be achieved by having the rhythm in some kind of MIDI arrangement. ie. instead of having a single sample which represents four bars or whatever of rhythm, you have a whole bunch of samples representing each drum/instrument and trigger them in sequence. Then changing the tempo is just a matter of adjusting the timing of the triggers and the samples don't need to be changed at all.

I don't know if it's feasible for what you're trying to achieve, but does that make sense?
-sqweek