Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directorie

From: Reinhold Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directories
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:03:54 +0100

On Windows there is no special folder for soundfonts. It is up to the application.

We at Notation Software (www.notation.com) use

(a) the Windows’ Public folder for those apps where Soundfonts can be flexibly configurable.

“C:\Users\Public\Documents\Notation_3\Soundfonts”

(b) %PROGRAMFILES%\Notation_3\[app name] for those apps where only one fixed soundfont can be used

The advantage of the Windows Public folder (similar to the Linux distributions) vs. %HOMEPATH% is that all users of a PC can use it whereas using  %HOMEPATH% limits the usage just to one user who installed the software.

That said, I vote for the fluidsynth app to do it in the same way and use

C:\Users\Public\Documents\fluidsnyth\Soundfonts.

Using

C:\Soundfonts is not a good idea due to Windows’ admin rights policies. %PROGRAMFILES% requires the installation on admin level and should only being used for sondfonts for special apps.

My 2 cents...

Reinhold