Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directorie

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directories
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 16:37:04 +0100 (CET)

> > The user shouldn't have to manually edit the path themselves.

>Of course he has to. Neither any maintainer nor fluidsynth are responsible for guessing how the user organizes his soundfont collection.

Yes organization soundfont is only the application need. As pointed by Sqweek E " ...there’s no standard way to do this..".

I don't think that fluidsynth package is the right place to define good conventions like standard search paths and/or configuration files.

Instead (as suggered by Sqweek E), the community of application end users should probably helps to do that. This should need time to collect those informations.

this should lead to a dedicaced llibrary with its API.

>Frankly, if the "potentially non-technical user" is too lazy to specify a proper path to the soundfont(s) he wants to use, I expect him to take the time and set up proper search paths *once*, because those are only suitable in his unique environment.

This is the minimum simple task that a end user should be able to do when this task is not frequent. Also using symbolic link should be useful.

jjc.