Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directorie

From: Reinhold Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Allow soundfonts to be searched from multiple directories
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 08:31:07 +0100

My optinion is that searching and organizing soundfont files are the task of
an application and NOT of fluidsynth. Our applications come with a standard
soundfont file but in addition with the feature that the user can load a
non-standard soundfont file based on own needs. Our applications also gather
where the soundfont file is located and that the user can easily switch
between different soundfont files. The biggest effort here is anyway the
user interface which is different for each app.

fluidsynth and the fluidsynth LGPL libraries are a clean focus to
synthesizer features where searching and organizing soundfont files is more
a data managing task rather a task of a synthesizer software.
(I also imagine that searching and organizing files is strongly dependant on
the platform e.g. Windows is different than Linux and macOS (access rights,
paths etc.)). My view, the energy of the open source input of smart people
should be towards the core value of a synthesizer which is unique where
organizing files is just a kind of "doing" without special skills.

Reinhold