Re: [fluid-dev] Parallelize rendering using openMP

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Parallelize rendering using openMP
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 16:40:04 +0200

Hi Tom,

I would like to rework fluidsynths parallel audio rendering. The current implementation is not very efficient, the synchronization overhead seems to dominate.

How did you come to the conclusion that the synchronization overhead dominates? Did you actually measure the overhead somehow?

[...]
Any thoughts on that? In case anybody is interested, you may follow the current implementation progress: [3]

Well, for starters I like that your implementation leads to less code. That is nearly always a good sign, I think. I'm partial to the new OpenMP dependency, but I don't know if it would cause problems for Android or iOS platforms.

I do wonder though why OpenMP can do a better job than the current code. Surely OpenMP also spawns threads in the background and uses conditions / mutexes behind the scenes. What is it in the current synchronization that makes it so inefficient?

Cheers,

   Marcus