Re: [fluid-dev] Help with latency using bluetooth headphones

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Help with latency using bluetooth headphones
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:18:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi, Paul

>I'd estimate 100ms for fluid,

>I'll have to test it out under Windows and Linux as well.

About Fluidsynth latency only. Those are some experiment results:

1) On Linux choosing  alsa driver calling the Hardware Layer (as explained in the wiki) we experiment low latency (< 10 ms).

2.1) On Windows using dsound driver we could not expect a latency below 50 ms.

2.2) On Windows using portaudio driver when selecting a device supported by wks Host API,  we obtain 10 ms.

2.3) Attempt to using portaudio driver making use of ASIO4ALL layer doesn't  diminish latency (because this asio layer makes use of wks host API).

Notes:  low and very low latency capabilities depend mainly both of the Host API (used by the driver) and audio card used regardless of the OS.

Cases 1 and 2.2 are the only one that gave acceptable result to address low latency demand.

Thanks to Ben also for sharing interesting bluetooth results.

All the best.

> Message du 24/02/18 09:08
> De : "Paul Cohn" <address@hidden>
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [fluid-dev] Help with latency using bluetooth headphones

Sorry for the slow response, this is a side project and have limited time to work on it.

Ben - thanks for the response, sounds interesting but you're right, I'll have to find some solution (or not) that would work for a number of users.

Marcus -

So Garageband really has a lower (perceived?) latency than FluidSynth using Bluetooth headphones, even with FluidSynth's buffers set to minimum? If that really is the case, maybe there are audio buffer sizes in the OSX audio framework that you can tweak for low-latency performance?

It definitely sounds like it has less latency even after setting the buffers on FluidSynth - I'd estimate 100ms for fluid, maybe around 30-50 for GarageBand. Even GarageBand's lag would be cutting it close for usability in my app, but might be better than not supporting bluetooth altogether. I'll try to look into the osx specific stuff, but we'll see if it makes sense to do anything considering I'll have to test it out under Windows and Linux as well.

Thanks,
Paul