Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 14:29:56 +0100

Hi Antoine,

Just jumping in this discussion, in case it is useful, there was a discussion already a few years ago on this topic :

Thanks! Yes, I've read all those messages as well. And it turns out that the way the panning control works is actually exactly according to spec. The weird behaviour when panning stereo samples is a feature, not a bug. The Sound Font FAQ by EMU says the following:

 "There is no other "automatic" parameter settings in SoundFont stereo sounds. Pan position may be wherever you like. (no automatic pan position of stereo paired samples). [...] Thus, it is POSSIBLE to build a classic stereo sound (pan hard left/right, half volume on each, same articulation on each) in a SoundFont 2.0 bank but you are not CONFINED to those settings!"

So as I've written previously, my suggestion to change the way panning works was wrong. It's all working as intended. No need to change anything here, sorry for the noise!

I have, however, added the ability to use the balance control (CC 8) to FluidSynth. Here is the pull-request, if you are interested in testing and giving feedback:
https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/pull/317

Cheers,

    Marcus