Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and MIDI channels

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth and MIDI channels
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:22:16 +0200

Hello David,

to use more than the 16 MIDI channels you probably have to talk to
fluidsynth via the API rather than through MIDI messages. Maybe you
could hack something with the built-in midi router, but I'm not sure.

But might I suggest that you look into the SysEx messages from the
Midi Tuning Standard[1]? I haven't tried it myself (will do so in a
few weeks time), but from looking at the source, FluidSynth seems to
support all the MTS SysEx messages. And even if SysEx is not possible
for you... there is always the option of using the (undocumented)
tuning commands via the FluidSynth shell. Scala[2] can export tunings
both in SysEx and FluidSynth shell commands, so you might give that a
try.

[1] http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midituning.php
[2] http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Cheers,