Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MIDI commands for reverb/chorus parameters
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 19:56:06 -0600

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Peter Billam <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings Element, List,

> At any rate, it seems like using the NRPN portion of MIDI is OK,
> which could potentially be used for adding reverb and chorus
> parameters (beyond the basics).

Yes.  You might run into other people using the same NRPN for their
own nefarious purposes, though, so it would be good to have some
way of ignoring a message that was not one of yours...

Yeah, seems like something that could be disabled by default (what is suggested for responding to NRPN commands anyways from what I read) in order to prevent the unexpected.

> Thinking about this more, I like the idea of having a Sysex
> interface to the FluidSynth command shell, which would open up
> a whole world of possibilities.

Yes yes! You could perhaps use one of the unused text_events ?
There's text_event_08 .. text_event_0f to choose from, and you have
all the length you want so could start with a "fluidsynth" string
to cut down on accidents from other software with similar ideas.
Likewise raw_meta_event, or even sequencer_specific ?

Where are you seeing the text events you mentioned?  I did a search and it looks like this may be with MIDI files, but not necessarily MIDI event streams.  Can you confirm whether these are Sysex commands or can be used with a normal (non MIDI file) event stream?

Regards,  Peter

http://www.pjb.com.au      address@hidden     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949

Cheers.

Element