Re: [fluid-dev] Play two channels simultaneously

From: Peter Billam
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Play two channels simultaneously
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:44 +1000

Hi.

> I have two soundfonts loaded into fluidsynth, one is on chan 0
> and the other is on chan 1. I want both to play regardless of
> what channel my controller keyboard is on.

On alsa, I would do this with midiecho
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/index.html
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/midiecho.html
eg:
  midiecho -c 3 -e 3,4 -d 1 -i ProKeys -o FLUID

and then set your ProKeys to play on channel 3.
This doesn't do the "regardless of what channel my controller
keyboard is on" bit. If you just mean for channels 3 or 4,
then I'd start up a second midiecho client using -N
  midiecho -N Echo4 -c 4 -e 3,4 -d 1 -i ProKeys,Keysta -o FLUID
but if you mean for any channel 0..15 then I'd probably write
a custom midi-alsa client using either
  http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/lua/midialsa.html
or
  http://search.cpan.org/~pjb/MIDI-ALSA-1.20/ALSA.pm
to do whatever needs to be done.

If you look how important doubling is in orchestral music
it's amazing it's not more discussed in a midi context...

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      address@hidden     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949