[fluid-dev] Problem with certain "loud" soundfonts not stopping after no

From: Ien Cheng
Subject: [fluid-dev] Problem with certain "loud" soundfonts not stopping after note off
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 11:07:15 -0400

Hi everyone -

I'm seeing an odd problem where the synth is not stopping the sound after note off with certain "loud" soundfonts. Specifically, with the standard GM grand piano soundfont, everything works great, notes on and notes off as expected.

Switch to a soundfont that has a sharper or fuller sound (like a 8bit arcade sound or a full choral ahh sound) and the synth doesn't turn off the notes -- or it sounds like the echo or tail of the sound just continues indefinitely even after the note off.

I notice that if I reduce the gain, the problem goes away.

Is this some kind of flooding or other problem?

Apologies if I'm not asking correctly or with the right terminology! Any help or tips appreciated.

--Ien