Re: [fluid-dev] Status of synth.audio-channels and synth.audio-groups

From: Lorenzo Sutton
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Status of synth.audio-channels and synth.audio-groups
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:36:36 +0200

Hi Jean-Jacques,

On 25/04/2016 14:02, jean-jacques.ceresa wrote:
Hi,
May be this will help.
This link is a starting point of discussion.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2015-04/msg00009.html

1)It gives functionnal behaviour of synt.audio-channels settings.
2)audio.jack.multi is discuted also (with a possible minor bug).

3) audio-groups and audio-channels number are used at mixer
initialization time
to define the maximum output buffer number like this.
   output_buffer_count = max (audio-channels,audio-groups).
May be synth.audio-groups is only useful when one want for the plugin
effect unit ?.

Thanks for the pointers. From what you write, therefore, it is not currently possible to route each midi channel to an independent audio output with jack. Right?

The actual use cases I'm after are essentially 2:
1. Record different instruments from a "general midi" soundfont (on different midi channels) independently e.g. in Ardour on a track per instrument. 2. Record drums from a drum soundfont independently to their own track in the DAW (Ardour). In that case I woul be sequencing each drum on its own channel.

I understand use case 2 is rather corner, but 1. is probably not that exotic.

Lorenzo.

jjc.