Re: [fluid-dev] Akai EWI-USB, Raspberry-Pi, and FluidSynth

From: laalaa
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Akai EWI-USB, Raspberry-Pi, and FluidSynth
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:13:33 +0800

Hi,

By definition latency means the time difference between the "action begin" and
"sound begin".  Applying to this case, "action begin" is "begin blowing" or
"clapping hand".

As a result, a precise way to measure the latency of wind controller would be:

1. You need a stereo recorder, one channel (mic) close to the mouthpiece,
another channel (mic) close to the speaker.
2. When begin blowing, one mic recorded the 'very little wind' noise.
3. After some time, another mic recorded the speaker out.
4. Use some audio editing tools to see the waveform for the latency.

This was what I attempt to do with my Digital Piano (record keyboard instead of
monthpiece, of course) and Fluidsynth output.  Though not success since I only
have an iPhone to treat as a mono recorder.

Alan