Re: [fluid-dev] Help about EWI behavior

From: jean-jacques.ceresa
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Help about EWI behavior
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 10:25:49 +0200

Hi,

>Louis: OK, here a link to my recording of the EWI midi data along with the audio output using the EWI5000 own builtin synth. There is also a screen shot showing the breath data.

Thanks a lot for the audio,midi and screen shot. All are very useful.
1) About articulations "détaché" , "legato"
MIDI data shows what one could expect about EWI behavior.
1.1) We can see that the MIDI stream produced by an EWI when playing "détaché" or "legato" is straightforward .
In others words, when this MIDI stream is input to a polyphonic synthesizer the MIDI data contents what is needed
for the synthesizer to play "détaché" or "legato" even if the synthesizer is not set in monophonic mode.
1.2)We can see also that we can obtain this result when the MIDI controler source is polyphonic (i.e Keyboard).
But in this case, one must set the synthesizer in monophonic mode.
Currently FluidSynth does not support this MIDI monophonic mode behavior. Specifications are needed.

>Louis: The challenge is to if any one can get this to play well using fluidsynth.

2) About sound realism, and reproducibility
The sound produced by a good soundfont SF2.01 synthesizer is not dependent of the synthesizer engine but
rather dependant of the loaded soundfont preset. In other words, if one want to change something in the sound
this must be done in the Soundfont. This way the new sound will be reproducible on others SF2.01 synthesizer.
like Fluidsynth.

Requesting a SF2.0 synthesizer to mimic the sound produced by an other kind of synthesizer is a real challenge.
2.a) It is often possible when the other synthesizer is a "sampler" (i.e both "subtractive" and "additive").
2.b) It can be often impossible when the other synthesizer is a "physical modeling".
2.c) Again, if the solution exists it a matter of Soundfont design.
Beetween 2.a and 2.b there is a lot of room for SF2.0 synthesizer

jjc