Re: [fluid-dev] Re : Re: New ticket for Sostenuto patch

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re : Re: New ticket for Sostenuto patch
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:13:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015, CERESA Jean-Jacques ENAC/ENAC wrote:

Yes as Jim write, the action to sustain only note depressed before sostenuto (i.e noteOn MIDI message received before sotenutoOn MIDI message) is typical of sostenuto pedal behavior.

Still, it's not especially piano-like. But, then, an on/off pedal isn't especially piano-like to begin with.

As long as the implementation is consistent with common practice, I'm happy.

But as the chord is played legato with the next bass note (on beat 1 of next bar), playing Sustain pedal will produce the same result than playing Sostenuto. So using Sustain pedal is more convenient than Sostenuto.

You forgot to mention that sostenuto doesn't really work for the Gymnopédies anyway as it clashes with the right-hand phrasing. Someone with a much faster left hand than mine could manage with a bass-sustain pedal, I suppose. A 30cm pinkie would work too. :)