Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth in android app

From: Frank Dahmen
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth in android app
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:49:09 +0100

thanks for the info

Frank

On 2015-02-09 12:47, Frank Dahmen wrote:
Hi,

may i use fluidsynth in a free android app (with ads)?
Do i have to publish the source code?

FluidSynth is released under LGPL.

If you publish the source code to your entire app that should all be fine - that's the simplest way to do it. The source code license needs to be LGPL compatible.

The LGPL gives you the option just to publish FluidSynth and the modifications you made to it (if any), and have the rest of your app be closed source, provided that you enable the end user to relink your app with a changed version of FluidSynth. That way can be more tricky to get right.

Ads or no ads does not make any difference.

There was talks some years ago about whether the iPhone app store in itself was a problem with FluidSynth. I'm not sure where that stands with Android market though.

(And as usual, I'm not a lawyer and this is not official legal advice.)